Skips Adelaide SA ensure that as little waste as possible finishes up in landfills by recycling Green Waste. Garden organics recycling is a great way to help our environment. Skips Adelaide SA take Green Waste Skips to the … [Read more...]
Andrews Farm is a northern community located in the City of Playford of Adelaide, South Australia. Andrews Farm was founded when Smithfield West was renamed in 1991. A major cultural centre, St. Columbia College, is located near the epicenter of the suburb. Andrews Farm also features greenspace, such as the large Stebonheath Park, which is located to the east of the community.
Angle Vale is a semi-rural location that is ringed by Adelaide's sprawling suburban region. Within close proximity are multiple vineyards and farms. The Angle Vale Bridge was constructed in 1876 out of laminated timber and is one of the oldest in the entire world. The bridge is located just north from the town's center.
Bibaringa is a small community that spans Gawler-One Tree Hill Road, which runs along a ridge from Gawler and between the South Para River Gorge to the east. On the west would be Adelaide Plains.
Blakeview, a residential suburb, is located within the jurisdiction of the City of Playford. Within the area are two commercial areas and two educational areas. In 1990, Blakeview was gazetted, pulling territory from the nearby suburbs of Smithfield and Munno Para.
Established in 1956, the suburb known as Bolivar was originally named for the General Bolivar Hotel that had burnt down in 1931. Aside from the hotel, Bolivar is best known for being the location of the Bolivar Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Found in the City of Salisbury is the suburb known as Brahma Lodge. The name is derived from a famous horse stud with the same name that once lived in the area. Brahma Lodge also has considerable greenspace, such as the grounds called Cockburn Green.
Buckland Park is named after an early pioneer homestead that once existed in the area. Presently, Buckland Park is also home to the Adelaide region weather radar. Because the soil along the flood plain of the lower Gawler River is so fertile, agriculture and horticulture is the main industry in the suburb.
Burton is located in flat terrain known as Adelaide Plains and contains two wetland reserves, such as Kaurna Park. Kaura Park is actually an urban wetland, which was created from deteriorated farmland.
The name Cavan was inspired by the local hotel, "The Cavan Arms," that was originally licensed by R.B. Colley in 1855. Colley was born in Cavan County, Ireland. Another feature of Cavan would be the Northfield Railway, which first opened in 1914 but closed to passengers on 24 July, 1987.
Craigmore is a suburb within the traditional territory of the Aboriginal Kaurna people of Adelaide Plains. Adams Creek runs through the middle of the suburb. 3 kilometers from the centre of Craigmore is the renowned Uleybury Winery and Restaurant.
Davoren Park was formed as part of a merger between the suburbs of Elizabeth Field and the northern piece of Elizabeth West in 1993. The name Davoren was taken from the Davoren family, who were some of the earliest pioneers of the area.
To the southeast of Salisbury North and Burton residential areas is the predominately industrial suburb called Direk. The north reaches of Direk are home to the RAAF Edinburgh base.
Dry Creek is an industrial suburb that contains a large percentage of wetlands and a substantial amount of land that was once devoted to salt crystallisation pans. Dry Creek was also once the site of the soap works in 1923 near the Dry Creek Railway station. Prior to that, ore that came from Broken Hill was smelted at the factory.
Once, Edinburgh was rural, but that changed in 1940 with the establishment of the Salisbury Explosives factory. Additonally, the construction of the RAAF base and the DST Group soon dominated the area. Also in Edinburgh is a model railway track, a model boat facility, pistol range, gemology clubrooms, and several remaining flocks of sheep and their respective farmland.
The entire region known as Edinburgh North is industrial, save for the land appointed to St. Patrick's Technical College. None of the suburb is zoned as residential.
Elizabeth is home to the Central District Bulldogs, an Australian rules football team. Elizabeth also acts the central business district of several surrounding suburbs.
Elizabeth Downs is a suburban area that is home to Argana Park Sports Precinct in the southwest. At Argana Park, one can find football, rugby, cricket, and netball clubs. Running roughly north-south above ground through Elizabeth Downs is the major water pipe, the Barossa Trunk Main.
Elizabeth East is a residential community with many families. The lifestyle of the suburb is relatively laidback. The City of Playford Council recently opened up Playford City Tennis Centre, a state of the art facility, or the community to enjoy.
Established in 1955, Elizabeth Grove quickly became a satellite city of Elizabeth. Within the jurisdiction of the suburb is a local shopping centre, public and Catholic primary schools, and churchs belonging to several religious denominations. The population is varied.
Elizabeth North is another residential section of the city of Elizabeth that was established in the late 1950s. The local community has been configured around the small shopping centre at the middle. Elizabeth North was also the first region to receive a facelife with the Rosewood Housing Upgrade.
Fremont Park is located with the suburb of Elizabeth Park. Many people like to visit Fremont Park to feed the ducks, have picnics, and spend the day enjoying barbecue with friends and family.
Elizabeth South is a half-residential and half-industrial area that has automotive and defence manufacturing factories. The dominating corporation is the Holden Factory, which opened in 1960 and closed recently in 2017. The impressive water tower located near the railway line holds 250,000 Imperial gallons and was built in 1940 around the time Elizabeth was established.
Elizabeth Vale is a medical district containing two hospitals: the public teaching Lyell McEwin Hospital, and the private Central Districts Hospital. The northern edge of Elizabeth Vale is framed by the bank of the Little Para River.
Evanston is home to the well-known Gawler Racecourse. Surrounding this main attraction is a large supermarket and a home furnishings centre containing bulk goods.
Evanston Gardens is on the cusp of suburb and rural, with much of the area still containing countryside. The large Karbeethan Reserve routinely hosts sporting events, such as softball, cricket, soccer, and baseball games to bring the community together.
A large portion of Evanston Park is found within the Town of Gawler. Much of the land is reserved for farming, but the eastern boundaries have plenty of housing, as well as the STARplex Swim Centre and Trinity College.
At the bottom of Evanston South is the Smithfield Memorial Park cemetery; but there is more to this suburb than gravestones. Evanston South also includes the Dalkeith Caravan Park, and there are several industrial businesses along Main North Road. The northern reaches of Evanston South are where Trinity College, residential housing, and zoned land for future housing developments can be found.
Established in October 2017, Eyre is the latest housing developing to be created in the City of Playford. The eastern side of the suburb has been taken over by the housing estate marketed as "Eyre at Penfield."
Freeling is a small town 60 km north of Adelaide, South Australia and neighbors the Barossa Valley wine region. Throughout the history of Freeling, most of the area has been used to grow and harvest wheat. Also in the early 1900s, the region produced record breaking amounts of hay. It is said the haystacks were so large, they could be see from many kilometers away.
Gawler was the first county town even established on Australian mainland in South Australia. From 1879 to 1931, Gawler had a tram service operated by horses.
The Gawler Hospital and aging care facility can be found in Gawler East. Recently, there have been talks about building a new road from Gawler East to Evantson Park, which would bypass the Gawler town centre and requires construction of a new bridge to cross the South Para River. The suburb is also situated on higher land than other regions of the Town of Gawler.
Gawler South is a subdivision of Gawler Township. The streets are easily named First all the way from Twenty-Fourth (which also describes the overall size of the town). In 1879, a railway line was constructed to run from Adelaide to Gawler South Station. The railway is still in operation, and a yard has been built to house the trains running to and from Adelaide.
Gawler West is a subdivision of Gawler Township. During the post-WWII era, the suburban region developed rapidly. The initial development was the Housing Trust subdivision, which remains today.
Globe Derby Park has been used primarily for horse stables, training, and racing, with the most notable attraction being the Globe Derby park racing venue. The suburb was formally established in 1998 after renaming the suburban southern edge of Bolivar.
The history of Gould Creek is combined with the history of Australian agriculture. However, from the 1960s to present times, Gould Creek has also played a critical part in utilities. The area contains a creek and several fresh water springs that are fed by the Little Para River.
Green Fields, located in the City of Salisbury, is predominately industrial, with a number of warehouses and light industry factories. The area is also served by the Greenfields Station, on the Gawler Railway line. During re-zoning Mawson Lakes were brought into the suburb. Much of the area's wetlands have also been extensively landscaped and preserved, allowing for limited public access.
Gulfview Heights sits between Salisbury East and Para Hills and is known to be home to affluence. There are a number of estates in the residential section. Gulfview Heights originally belonged to the shoemaker, William Pedler. A reserved section of land was also set aside in 1970 but wasn't fully declared until 1989.
Hewett is quickly becoming a popular location for beginning families, due to the balance between community and country living. Much of the land is being bought in order to begin more residential and community developments.
The original subdivision that created Hill Bank was created prior to 1966, but that is when the boundary lines changed and the name became known. Since then, a former suburb of Elizabeth Heights was added to the area in 1987. Hillbank was also home to the local drive-in theatre that operated from 1958 to the late 1980s but was later demolished to make room for Burchwood Estate.
Hillier in the Town of Gawler is a residential zone that has quiet rural surroundings. The area is covered in thousands of native trees and shrubbery. The Gawler River Pony Club is located in Hillier, as well.
Though Humbug Scrub is home to people, it is most well know for the Humbug Scrub Wildlife Sanctuary that is located behind the Parra Wirra Reserve. The sanctuary was founded in 1905 by Thomas Bellchambers and has been operating ever since.
Ingle Farm was first the settlement of James Rowe and his family in 1848. Rowe primarily farmed the land, growing wheat, barely, peas, and hay. Then, in 1959, the South Australian Housing Trust bought a total of 730 acres to create Ingle Farm. The Rowe Family name was honoured with the naming of the town's Rowe Park.
Kalbeeba is a small town east of Gawler that was named after a former railway station on the Barossa Valley Railway line. The western end of the Jack Bobridge Track (a combined walking and cycling track) is adjacent to the railway line running through Kalbeeba.
Kudla is named after a railway station with the same title and is Aboriginal for "level ground, open, or remote." The name was approved in 1982 and chosen over other alternatives like Dalkeith and Dalkeith Vale. The land is primarily made up of hobby farms and large blocks.
Lewiston is a partially rural setting located 6 km west of Two Wells. The population averages around 3,000 people. The main industries are crop and animal farms.
MacDonald Park has a small population and large blocks of land that are divided up by agricultural farms. Some of the land was once used for munitions storage.
Best known for the Mallala Motor Sport Park, a 2.6 km bituman motor racing circuit, Mallala is an attractive town with a lot to do. The suburb is located 55 km north of Adelaide.
Mawson Lakes was first created in 1998. Presently, the area features the Technology Park, the Mawson Lakes campus of the University of South Australia, Endeavour College, as well as rapidly spreading residential and industrial zones. There is also the public transportation hub, Mawson Interchange.
Prior to the urbanisation of this small locality in 1955, Munno Para was a section of the farming township of Smithfield. The entire suburb is flat, with only the west and south regions containing gentle slopes.
Munno Para Downs continues to be predominantly rural, though the Playford North extension has created the chance for a suburban neighbourhood to spread into the area in the near future.
Following the trend of other sections, Munno Para West is mainly rural, with a number of farms taking up larger blocks of land. However, there are now subdivisions that are allowing for suburban development. In 2011, the boundaries of Munno Para West were adjusted to ensure that a new expressway didn't disturb the preportioned suburban area.
The town of One Tree Hill received its name from the One Tree Hill Inn, which was licensed in 1851. The origin of the inn's name refers to a giant red gum tree that once stood at the intersection of Black Top Road and Walter's Road. However, the tree suffered through a fire in 1890 and was later cut down in 1934. Now, only the name remains.
Para Hills is largely residential and contains a multitude of sporting facilities for the community to share. Parks, schools and shopping centres are also abundant. The name "Para Hills" comes from the Kaura word "Para," which translates as "a stream of flowing water."
On the eastern side of Main North Road is Para Hills West. Here, one can find many commercial businesses as well as the Parafield Airport. Para Hills West is also the location of the expansive Para Hills Community Club, which is a collection of sporting grounds, family-oriented club, and bistro.
Para Vista is where one can find Kentish Green, a reserve that was developed in the late 1960s around a preserved homestead, orchard, and dilapidated horse stables. Now cleaned up and refurbished, the area features wide open spaces, walking paths, and public shelters that have been upgraded since 2015.
Parafield is a non-residential one of Adelaide, approximately 18km north of the central business district. The area is basically continguous with Parafield Airprt, and so much of the land is taken up by airport related service industries, businesses, terminals, hangars, and the like. Near Kings Road and Main North Road, there is also a general commerical section.
Parafield Gardens is very residential, save for a small pocket of industrialised land to the southwest. Prior to 1906, Aboriginals occupied the land of Parafield Gardens until settlers came and set up an experimental agricultural farm. In 1911, the farm switched over to poultry. Since then, many businesses and families have come and gone, adding to the growing landscape of the suburb.
Paralowie is mostly made up of residential zones and has been settled since the late 19th century. Since that time, the land was used for gardens and farms. It wasn't until post-WWII did Paralowie see more growth. The residential areas have florished since the mid-1990s.
In the past, around 1940, Penfield was commandeered by the government to establish a munitions factory during World World II. Artillery was transported up and down the now defunct Penfield Railway. Once the war was over, the land was switched over to market gardens and farms. The Northern Equestrian Centre is also located in Penfield.
Penfield Gardens is part of the urban fringe that extends outward towards Adelaide Plains. The main industries in the area include farming, horse training and racing.
The South Australian Produce Market in Pooraka is the primary fresh produce wholesale market in the state. Pooraka is considered a residential suburb and is split with Dry Creek, despite originally being part of Dry Creek. In 1916, Pooraka broke away from the other suburb.
Roseworthy is a small town that is about 10 km north of Gawler off the Horrocks Highway. Roseworthy has grown into a thriving and friendly community that has long been recognised for quality wine, grain, and sheep-derived products.
Salisbury is named after a railway station of the same name that was established in 1857. Since its founding, the suburb has grown into the service area for the City of Salisbury. There is a plethora of greenspace, shops, cafes, and restaurants throughout the suburb. The Parabanks Shopping Centre, which features designer brands and signature retailers, is also located in Salisbury.
Salisbury Downs is a residential area that was once best known for Hollywood Drive, which operated from 1968 to January 1985. However, the screen remains a well-known landmark in the area, especially for the Hollywood Plaza Shopping Centre.
Despite being located within the perimeter of the local government of the City of Salisbury, Salisbury East is residential and home to many families. The eastern part of the Cobbler Creek Recreation Park shares space between Salisbury East and the City of Tea Tree Gully.
The northern section of Salisbury Heights was established in the 1970s and has since expanded. The blocks of land here are slightly larger than other areas. Also, Salisbury Heights is known for the Old Spot Hotel, which is considered the mid-way stopping point between Barossa and Adelaide.
Built in the early 1950s by the South Australian Housing Trust, Salisbury North was meant to house employees of a nearby long range weapons establishment. However, is has since grown and become part of the greater urban sprawl reaching out from Adelaide.
Salisbury Park is a region comprised mainly of greenspace. The Carisbrooke Reserve was also recently renovated and reopened. The park now has plenty of grass, trees, and trails running alongisde the creek. Those who live in this suburb are surrounded by the preserved land.
Salisbury Plain is a suburb in the City of Salisbury, part of Adelaide. Salisbury Plain is one of the larger regions of Salisbury in both population and space and is often compared to Salisbury East and Downs.
Being that Salisbury South is part of Adelaide Plains, much of the land is flat. The area is primarly used for light industrial warehouses and factories blended with some residential housing districts.
Sampson Flat is not entirely flat, for there is a mixture of open pastures and dense wooded areas to the east. To the west, one can find the Little Para Reservoir. In 2015, Sampson Flat made headlines for bushfires that started on the 2nd of January 2015 due to extreme heat and lasted for four days.
Smithfield was settled in 1850 when the Scottish immigrant, John Smith, claimed ownership of the land. The historic Smithfield Hotel was erected along where Main North Road intersected with a freshwater river now named Smith Creek. The Smithfield Speedway, which was in operation from 1926 to 1930, is thought to be the first motorcycle club in the whole world.
Smithfield Plains has a long history of belonging to a largely European population. Even today, many British migrants and expatriates call Smithfield Plains home. Similar to Smithfield, the Smith Creek runs through and around this suburb.
St. Kilda sits beside the ocean. The suburb is surrounded by salt crystallisation lagoons that are used to fabricate soda ash. St. Kilda is also known for a number of tourist attractions, including a kid-friendly adventure playground, mangrove forests, a tram museum, and more.
Two Wells is often considered a gateway to the Adelaide Plains. The name refers to the two local watering holes that were used by the Aboriginal tribes for eons prior to European settlement.
Once a piece of Munno Para East, Uleybury was established as a settlement in 1855. In 1856, the Uleybury School was erected on religious land and operated as a theological school until 1874. Afterwards, the goverment usurped control. In 1971, the school closed and became a museum in 1979. One can also visit and enjoy the Uleybury winery.
The suburb of Valley View is best know for the sprawling Thomas Turner Reserve on Nelson Road. The Valley View golf course is split from other sections of the reserve by Dry Creek, which runs east to west through the park.
Virginia is a small town where the main industry is gardening and farming. Virginia is also home to the Adelaide International Raceway, which opened in 1972 and has been in operation since. The drag strip is internationally known and sees thousands of audience members annually.
Walkley Heights is a suburb that is located in a region once known solely for the Yatala Labour Prison. The prison had 55 hectares of land and was owned by R.M. Williams. The state has long since obtained the prison, and the area soon saw new development as families moved in.
Waterloo Corner is a semi-rural suburb with fast growing community zones. However, the main purpose of the land is for agricultural practices, including the growing and harvesting of wheat, grapes, tomatoes, and olives. Because the Port Wakefield Road is within proximity to the community, cargo freighters and trucks are constantly passing through.
Willaston was found by William Paxton many years ago. Now, Willaston is home to the Gawler Par 3 Golf Course. Alongside a retirement village is the historic Willaston General Cemetery, north of the suburb's centre.
Once a historic homestead, Yattalunga took the name and continues to offer more housing to the community. The name is based off an Aboriginal word for "cascade, waterfall, or creek." Most of the eastern region of Yattalunga is shared with the Para Wirra Recreation Park, a large greenspace full of native flora and fauna.